Saturday 19 July 2008

The Neo-Nothing Conundrum

I am worried. This is not surprising considering the amount of problems there are to dwell on at the moment. Yes- the issues disrupt my sleep, there is no doubt about that, but it is my lack of consistency that perturbs me more.
I may be operating under a false illusion, or perhaps I haven been naiively convinced by the nostalgic twaddle of older generations. However, if one believes what they are told, people used to know what they were. They had a clear set of beliefs, a regimented class system, societal infrastructure... Whether they lamented or embraced their circumstances, for better or worse, people were able to build a sustainable identity.
Please don't misunderstand me: I don't particularly want to revisit the past. Some would argue that we are doing a capable job of reitnroducing old problems in new contexts anyway. Xenophobia is omnipresent as are greed and inequality. Nevertheless, health issues and youth culture have adapted with growing trends. We cannot journey back into the past to find answers that are not there, even though some politicians would beg to differ.
What I want for myself is to look towards government and find something I can buy into. I want to connect with a party and an ideology and thus allow it to influence and shape my perception of society. Presently, I am in the vast abyss of political limbo: A schizophrenic, oscillating wildly across the political spectrum.
This week, I was reading Bromley News Shopper's Voices Against Violence. Although I advocate the intention behind the campaign, its survey results left me cold. My liberal side veered up in alarm when I read that 43% of those questioned want to reintroduce capital punishment. Futhermore the comment: 'Send them out to Iraq if they want to fight so much.' made me angry as these assertions merely provide a ridiculous anti-solution- kill them or ship them off to die somewhere else. These proposals only highlight part of the problem. Like choosing to rip the plaster off quickly rather than bear the gradual pulling of the flesh, in a culture where the public can consume 24 hours a day, instant results are wanted. Couple this with the extreme reluctance to accept responsibility for why things are the way they are and, unsurprisingly, the problem escalates.
One may assume I am a lefty liberal. Wonderful- hand me The Guardian , make me a fair trade coffee and then stop bothering me so I can tend to my organic vegetable patch. If only it were that simple.
Even I surprised myself during a recent conversation with a colleague. His wife is a primary teacher who is currently covering other teachers while they take part in a family education programme. I was interested so he explained. It is where parents come in and learn with their children; they become part of the process, suppporting the school and their own education. Sounds brilliant. He sighed, it would be good if the parents that needed the help turned up. The families who were part of the programme had a positive attitude about the school and their role anyway. The parents who would have benefitted were conspicuous by their absence. The problem lies with how to target specific families. This is when I found myself saying: 'Take their benefits away from them and I'm sure they would suddenly be more willing to attend.' What is my name? Jeremy Clarkson? I couldn't believe that I had uttered such a right wing view. Where had that been hiding? If I am a Tory then I have to support David Cameron.
Therefore you can appreciate my predicament. I have the angel/devil on my shoulder syndrome. I want to get off the fence and get in bed with someone or something. Please let me become inspired enough to maintain an opinion! Am I representative of all 20 somethings? I wonder if the Neo-Nothing Conundrum is an isolated problem, specific to me, or actually the reason why so many young people find it difficult to identify with government.

No comments: